The wireless station of Midland was situated on Georgian Bay, on Lake Huron and has been operated by Canadian Marconi and then by the Department of Transport. The station officially opened on July 8, 1912. The site for the original station was secured on a hill overlooking the Harbour.
The station first operated under the call letters of 'CKD' until 1912 and then under 'VBC'.
The Department of Transport 1938 annual report stated that all the Great Lakes stations, except Tobermory, were offering a ship-to-shore radiotelephone service.
At first, the station was providing a Direction Finding service on 410 kHz, a ship-to-shore radiotelephone service on 1630 kHz and a weather broadcast service on 187 kHz.
In 1961, the station at Midland was combined with the aeradio station at Wiarton to improve communications on Georgian Bay as well as cutting down on operating costs. This put an end to nearly 50 years of operation under the Marconi name and the closure of the Midland radio station.